Saturday, January 26, 2013

Life Gets Interrupted

It's funny to me how every time I think I'm in control of things, I'm quickly reminded I'm not.  I knew Logan wasn't feeling great on his dedication day but by the evening he was showing signs of maybe something a little more serious.
He had a rough overnight...couldn't settle himself to sleep but wasn't hungry or anything that I could easily figure out.  When I went in to get him in the morning, he looked like this.
I know it might be weird that I took these pictures but I wanted something to show the doctor later that day.  I really use my Iphone to its capacity :)

He settled in for a morning nap and that's when this rash on his face started to develop.  I was definitely starting to get worried and a bit anxious for his 2:30pm doctor's appointment.
I took him in and described all his symptoms to his pediatrician.  Long story short, within one hour the ambulance had been called, Jodi was frantically trying to make arrangements for Paeton and Evan and I was bumping along with my little man on our way to Children's Hospital.

Logan's 1st Ambulance Ride
(and hopefully last...)

We made our way there in good time and with Jodi following behind.  We got checked in right away and were placed in a lockdown unit which meant limited visitation and probably the cleanest, 'germ-free' place I've ever stayed.
Logan somehow perked up a bit right when we were getting checked in and meeting our nurses for the night.  I really didn't think he looked too bad.
But as the night progressed on, he got worse hour by hour.  By almost 1am they decided it was time for full time oxygen and an IV to be placed.  He was getting really dehydrated from all the vomiting so it was hard to place the IV.  It took 3.5 hours.  I felt terrible for everyone but especially for Logan who was really struggling at this point and for the ER nurses that were brought up to try and put it in.  They finally found a vein that worked around 4am.




The next few days were basically a blur.  I slept in the room each night on a plastic couch with a plastic pillow and a blanket that was as cozy as, well...being wrapped in tin foil.  I mostly ate hospital food broken up by a few 'real world' meals brought by friends.  I tried to turn off my phone and sleep when I could because I knew the night was coming.  But I wouldn't have been anywhere else but right by Logan's side every minute of the day.  



He had moments of normalcy here and there which kept me going.  I loved snuggling with this little man and all his cords, wires and gear.

This was his final day.  You can tell how much better he looks.  Peaceful naps and really alert awake times.  I even got to bring him over onto the couch for some play time and feedings.

I can remember very clearly when they came in and told me that Logan would be able to go home.  I wanted to cry tears of joy.  I was so tired and so emotionally done.  The pediatrician sat down with me and explained his discharge instructions...which included 8 weeks of isolation.  I wasn't ready for that.
Here's Logan all bundled up and ready for the ride home.
Coming home was a whirlwind of bags, kids, laundry, unpacking all broken up by feedings, meds and just trying to stay awake.  We both slept decently the first night and woke up to this happy girl ready to snuggle her 'Logs' .(pronounced "lowgs")
I got both Paeton and Evan off to school and then came home to take the longest shower ever, unpack some more and start the washer for the first of many times.  Logan happily sat in his swing and stared out the window in his room.  I loved peeking in and seeing him in there.  Finally back home.


It's funny how sometimes you get what you wish for.  The whole time we were in the hospital, all I wanted was to go home.  Well, now we get to be home...for awhile.  Isolation truly means that Logan can't leave the house.  That's no trips to the grocery store, Target, Starbucks, the gym, out for meals, church...and no visits with friends.  His preemie insides combined with this winter's terrible strains of influenza & viruses have been deemed a 'perfect storm' of danger for Logan.  

I've cleared our calendar, canceled Evan's preschool and prepared myself mentally to live the simple life till April 1st.  This is really hard for me because I love to be around people, I love to be busy and oh, I love to shop.  But I've got to do what's right for Logan.  

Special thanks to everyone who helped us out last week.  We are so blessed and we felt so loved.  Logan's nurses kept saying that I received more text messages in 4 days than they've ever heard.  Those texts were friends and family checking in on Logan's progress, checking in on my state of mind, offering care for Paeton and Evan, arranging meals and typing out their prayers for our family.  When God's involved, he goes all out and he leads his believers to do the same.

'May the Lord now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this.' 
2 Samuel 2:6

No comments: