Friday, May 22, 2009

The Evening Shift

Well, I just ended my shift of holding Paeton...she is now sleeping in her crib and doing well. The best way to describe her right now is peaceful I'd have to say. She's on her tummy with her little butt in the air - just the way she likes to sleep. Grandma Ulrich left around 5pm to go back to Oshkosh. Jodi and I just kind of looked at each other like....now it's all us. We discussed that today did go better than we had expected. That is a good thing. It was hard...really hard....but now that we have our baby girl back, we are better. Here's how my shift went...


Paeton started to become alert again just as Grandma was leaving. We decided to bring over some friends to the rocking chair.


This was Paeton before waking up - happy in mommy's arms.


Family pic - all reunited and happy to be together.

Back to catching up with George and the little pig - they are filling Paeton in on what she missed when she was napping. Paeton can't believe she missed Days of Our Lives and Judge Judy


Paeton, George and the new teddy bear (unnamed as of right now - hospital gift from Paeton's speech pathologist, Dr.Baylis) cuddling and watching the evening news.


Getting some love from mommy.

Paeton's i.d. bracelet around her ankle.


Dr.Jensen (surgeon) came to visit and felt Paeton needed some pain meds when he watched her sip juice from her sippy cup. Paeton told afterwards that this was the worst cherry flavored stuff she had ever tasted.


Getting ready to dine on some pudding, applesauce and yogurt. At this point, she'll take whatever she can get.

I thought I'd add this list of the top items we packed for the hospital:
  • Bubbles
  • Puppets
  • Snacks
  • Blankets/Pillows from home
  • George
  • Slippers
  • Movies
  • Laptop
  • Camera

We definitely felt like we were moving in to the hospital today. But everything has been needed so far and those are our top picks as advice to others on what to bring. It has been freezing cold in our room so slippers, sweat pants, and blankets have been lifesavers.

Paeton is sleeping, the pull out hard as a rock couch is ready for us and The Godfather just began. We're set for a long night of checking vitals, putting ear drops in and anything else that might come our way.

But all in all, we are blessed and we thank God for being with us today on so many levels. God is good. Good night.

2 comments:

Raelle said...

Marlaina and Jodi! I am so thrilled to read you blog and hear that Paeton is doing well! I called your house today and left a message and I want you guys to let me know how I can out. I'd love to any way I can. I've been praying for you guys so much this week! Did you get my message I left you through the Change Point yahoo group?? I will keep praying for Paeton's recovery and for both of you to be strong for her.
Please let me know how I can help,
Raelle

Unknown said...

Marlaina, I am so glad everything went well! My eyes swelled up with tears reading your blog just thinking about what you're going through. I know it must be very hard for you to be strong when you're baby girl is hurting, but God will give you the strength that you need. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys out. ~Leslie